Post written by Morgan Wilson, Museum Assistant for Collections.
Daily Discovery: Suffrage Flag Infinity Scarf
Basic knitting skills are required to make this scarf. Luckily, this is a quick and easy knitting project that will be ready for the cool weather this fall. This scarf is made in the colors of the National Women’s Party flag- purple, white and gold! Once you reach the end, just connect it in a loop to create this stylish infinity scarf.
- Between 40-50 yards of bulky yarn (weight 6) in purple
- Between 40-50 yards of bulky yarn (weight 6) in white
- Between 40-50 yards of bulky yarn (weight 6) in gold
- 1 pair of US size 13 knitting needles
- 1 yarn needle
- Cast on 12 stitches in your preferred method in the purple color.
- Knit the first two rows.
- Purl the next two rows.
- Repeat the knit-knit-purl-purl pattern until you have about 20 inches left of the first color.
- Continuing the pattern, knit or purl the next color onto the existing scarf.
- Continue the knit-knit-purl-purl pattern with the second color until you have 20 inches left of yarn and knit or purl the last color onto the scarf.
- Continue the pattern until you have about 20 inches of yarn and cast off the stitches to close the scarf.
- If you want to wash and block your piece, now would be the time to do so. If not, continue to step 9.
- Using the remaining yarn and your yarn needle, mattress stitch the end of the scarf to the beginning of the scarf to create a loop.
- Enjoy your suffrage scarf!
Want to download these directions? Click here for a handy PDF!
Follow along with our Daily Discovery! Click here for all activities that you can do at home.
Educational opportunities like this are supported in part by Fort Fund.