Post written by Lea Mikkelsen, Early Childhood Coordinator.
Daily Discovery: Nature Diorama
With supplies from your backyard, you can bring nature indoors and create a beautiful diorama! Take inspiration from our own Rocky Mountains and prairies or ask an adult to help you research other animal habitats.
- Cardboard box
- Colored paper (or paint)
- Clay (if you have it)
- Natural materials: rocks, sticks, pine cones, dry grass, leaves, etc.
- A plastic animal toy for your habitat: bear, fox, deer, etc. Tip: Don’t have one? Try cutting out a picture from a magazine or drawing your own!
- Take a nature walk or visit your backyard to collect materials!
- Turn the cardboard box on it’s side.
- Use colored paper or paint to decorate the background of your nature scene.
- Use clay to make the ground and press your natural materials into it. Tip: Use glue if you don’t have clay.
- Get CREATIVE! Then, when you are ready, place (or glue) your plastic or paper animal into the diorama!
- Share a photo of your nature scene with us on social media using #dailydiscovery