Post written by Eisen Tamkun, Music Education Lead.
Daily Discovery: Make Your Own Harmonica!
Is it a Harmonica or a Kazoo? Who knows but it sure is fun to play!
- Tongue depressors/ jumbo craft sticks
- Tape – duct or scotch tape
- Wide rubber band
- Stiff paper – cardstock or flashcard
- Once you have all the supplies, cut two strips of paper half an
inch thick and two inches long.
- Place both craft sticks together and wrap both strips of paper
around them. Tape the paper strips closed around the sticks
creating sleeves (do not tape them to the sticks). Slide both
sleeves off the craft sticks.
- Next, place the rubber band lengthwise on one of the craft
- Replace the sticks together and slide the sleeves back one.
- Finally, duct tape each end of the harmonica.
- Congratulations you have your own harmonica!
Place your lips on the harmonica and blow until the rubber band starts to vibrate creating noise. Try moving the sleeves closer or farther apart. How does this change the sound?
Want to download these directions? Click here for a handy PDF!
Follow along with our Daily Discovery! Click here for all activities that you can do at home.
Image credit: TUK Crafts