Post written by Morgan Wilson, Museum Assistant for Collections.
Daily Discovery: Suffrage Flag Friendship Bracelet
Purple, white and gold striped flags were the symbol of the National Women’s Party of the US. During this craft, make your own string friendship bracelet inspired by the flag of the National Women’s Party!
- Purple, yellow and white embroidery floss
- Cut 3 pieces of each color of floss, making sure each one is about 3 feet long (you will have 9 strands total).
- Line up the pieces of floss and tie a knot to secure them together.
- Be sure to separate the colors how you want them to appear on the bracelet.
- Secure the bracelet with a piece of tape to a table (or clip it down to a hard surface with a clothes pin).
- Take the first piece of floss on the left and lay it over the adjacent piece, creating a “4”.
- Cross the string under and bring it through the loop. Pull it up to cinch it at the top.
- Continue with this piece, repeating steps 4 and 5 for each strand until the first strand is all the way on the right side.
- Repeat with all colors, always taking the piece on the far left and knotting it until it lays on the right side.
- Continue the pattern until the bracelet has reached your desired length.
- Tie a knot at the end and tie it on your wrist!
Tips and Tricks:
- The bracelet will curl as you make it, but it should straighten out over time as your wear it!
- If you want to work on your bracelet away from home, you can secure it to your shoe and work on it wherever you want!
Image Credit: Flagguys.com
Want to download these directions? Click here for a handy PDF!
Follow along with our Daily Discovery! Click here for all activities that you can do at home.
Educational opportunities like this are supported in part by Fort Fund.