Post written by Charlotte Conway, Public Programs Coordinator.
Daily Discovery: Time Machine
Time machines are the stuff of science fiction. In movies and shows, they help out some of our favorite characters… like when Hermione Granger used her time turner to perform better in school in Harry Potter!
Can you use design thinking to design your own time machine? Design thinking is when we design products that help meet specific needs for specific people. Follow the instructions below to get started!
- Pencil or pen
- Glue or tape
- Recycled supplies
- Some objects that can be found in many homes: paper towel tubes, buttons, tin foil, bottle caps, plastic bottles, stickers, paper clips, or cardboard
- Your imagination and creativity!
- Identify your user. This is the person (or the group of people) who will benefit from your design. What do they like and dislike? What are their goals? What are some obstacles they face in meeting
- Sketch out your design on paper. Identify 3 ways your design will help your user.
- Using recycled materials construct your design. Get creative with your supplies, and make sure to get
permission before using supplies you find in your home!
- Ask for feedback on your time machine from someone around you. How can you make it even better?
- Use your imagination to travel to different time periods!
Want to download these directions? Click here for a handy PDF!
Follow along with our Daily Discovery! Click here for all activities that you can do at home.