Post written by Eisen Tamkun, Music Education Lead.
Daily Discovery: Make your own instruments!
Get ready to rock out like Ringo! Create your very own drum using common household items!
- Can – the larger the better!
- Packing Tape or Duct Tape
- Wooden Stick – chopsticks or wooden spoon
- Decorations – stickers, colorful tape, construction paper, color pencils, markers, etc.
- Once you have all the supplies, start by taping over the opening of your can. Be careful! Some cans have sharp edges.
- Be sure you pull the tape as taut as you can to create a nice strong drum head. Start with this pattern on the right and continue until the tape covers it completely. The more layers, the longer your drum will last (5-6 layers with packing tape, 3-4 with duct tape).
- Now that you have created the drum head it is time for decoration! Put a layer of tape around the body of your drum, use strips of tape to create a unique pattern, cut out fun shapes, or draw a picture or story to tape on the side!
- The final step is choosing your drum sticks! Large spoons/ladles work great, but make sure they are made of wood or plastic; metal ones can puncture your drum. Chopsticks work as well; Add some tape on the end for a better sound!
Now that you’ve made your very own drum, try making larger or smaller drums to create an entire set ready to rock out!
Want to download these directions? Click here for a handy PDF!
Follow along with our Daily Discovery! Click here for all activities that you can do at home.
Educational opportunities like this are supported in part by Bohemian.