Post written by Eisen Tamkun, Music Programming Lead
Daily Discovery: May the Fourth Be With You!
Do you have a favorite Star Wars sound? Maybe the yell of a Wookie, the hoots, tweets, and coos of R2D2, or even the sound of Vader breathing through his helmet. No matter what sound pops into your head Star Wars would not be the same without it.
Who do we have to thank for all of the amazing sounds we hear in the Star Wars Universe? Why, sound designers, of course! And the sound designer who is responsible for all the sounds in Star Wars is Ben Burtt. It was Burtt’s job to discover all the sounds we hear in Star Wars.
Want to test your Star Wars knowledge? Use the activity below to guess what sounds Burtt took from our world and used to build the amazing Star Wars Universe. Then, be a sound engineer and make your very own blaster sounds at home. May the Force be with you!
Make Your Own Star Wars Sounds
- Metal Slinky or metal clothes hanger
- Take the metal slinky/clothes hanger and tie a 12 inch piece of string to it.
- Wrap the string around one finger and let the slinky/hanger dangle on the end.
- Place the finger with the string wrapped around it it your ear and listen.
- And Viola! Can you hear laser blaster firing? Try knocking the hanger against another object. How does the sound change?
Want to download these directions? Click here for a handy PDF!
Follow along with our Daily Discovery! Click here for all activities that you can do at home.