Two positions are available that are determined based on available hours: Part Time and As-Needed. The job responsibilities are the same; the differences in hours and benefits are detailed below. Please identify what position you are applying for on your application.
Both Position Classifications
- Hourly, Non-Exempt
- $12.50 per hour
- Report to the Visitor Experience Team Manager
- Weekday, Evening, and Weekend Shifts
As-Needed – 10-19 hours per week
- Regularly Scheduled Hours: 10-19 hours per week
- Benefits: This position accrues sick time. This classification is not eligible for other defined benefits. All museum employees receive a free museum membership during their employment.
Part Time – 20-27 hours per week
- Regularly Scheduled Hours: 20-27 hours per week
- Benefits: This position accrues sick time and personal time off. This classification is not eligible for other defined benefits. All museum employees receive a free museum membership during their employment.
Fort Collins Museum of Discovery (FCMoD) is a unique public/private partnership that engages visitors in an innovative learning environment. As Northern Colorado’s only AAM accredited museum (American Alliance of Museums), and only ASTC-affiliated museum (Association of Science-Technology Centers), FCMoD occupies a pivotal space in the cultural and educational life of our region and creates extraordinary opportunities for visitors to engage with experiences that explore the interplay of science and culture in ways that are deeply relevant to our community, our geography, and our shared history.
Since opening in 2012, we have welcomed over 820,000 visitors from all 50 states. Our exhibits gallery boasts long-term exhibits including First Peoples, music, wildlands, agriculture, astronomy, and more, including 4 buildings of regional historical importance at our Heritage Courtyard, the on-site Archive & Collections, and Northern Colorado’s only 360-degree immersive theater – the OtterBox Digital Dome Theater. Since 2016, we have welcomed touring special exhibitions from National Geographic, Science North, American Museum of Natural History, the Smithsonian, and more.
The museum creates meaningful opportunities to learn, reflect, and have fun through hands-on and collections-based explorations in science and culture. We promote a team environment where curiosity – not certainty – informs our work. A Discovery Agent at FCMoD creates an environment of welcome and excitement; setting the stage for an exceptional visitor experience. They greet visitors at all points of entry; assist with admission via member check-in and non-member sales; staff our retail operations, including The Museum Café; bring their unique talents to support organizational needs via experiences such as the OtterBox Digital Dome Theater; and serve as hosts for birthday parties, afterhours programs and events.
The ideal candidate is confident in their ability to perform this important work on behalf of FCMoD and open to feedback and new ideas. Working at FCMoD is a collaborative effort, and this position requires the ability to work within a team, as well as across all areas of the museum to create an unparalleled experience for the visitors the museum serves.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The following duties and responsibilities are illustrative of the primary functions of this position and are not intended to be all inclusive.
- Create a positive environment for all, welcoming and engaging guests at each point of interaction
- Serve as the first point of contact for visitors including answering and appropriately routing in person and telephone inquiries
- Working with manager and colleagues, build an understanding of the experiences offered at FCMoD to ensure the sharing of accurate information with visitors
- Participate in meetings and work groups to communicate visitor feedback, real-time observations, and opportunities for improvement in visitor serving functions
- Guide visitors through admission options, including separately ticketed experiences and membership sales, to ensure accurate and detailed data entry and sales records
- Assist visitors with sales in The Museum Store; sharing background information on merchandise, and offering assistance with product selection as appropriate; maintain familiarity with and proper stocking of merchandise
- Assist visitors with sales in The Museum Café; prepare food and drink orders according to safe food handling practices; maintain daily cleanliness, proper stocking of materials, and good communication with Retail Manager and colleagues regarding operations
- In collaboration with colleagues, support museum experiences such as the OtterBox Digital Dome Theater, programs, and events. Process daily sales and sales reports at various point of sale locations and balance cash drawers
- Perform specific assignments at the request of the Visitor Experience Manager
- Ensure the cleanliness and organization of public areas such as the Welcome Desk, Lobby, The Museum Store, and The Museum Café
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and abilities required to perform the necessary functions of this position.
- Understands the mission and values of FCMoD
- Able to work collaboratively as part of a team and independently
- Demonstrates proficiency with computer POS systems and cash handling
- Can assess and prioritize tasks
- Able to maintain high standards of food and beverage safety
- Is friendly and courteous
- Enjoys working with people
- Has a “customer first” attitude
- Listens attentively to others
- Asks clarifying questions to better understand the views and assumptions of others
- Works effectively in a team environment
- Actively participates in joint problem solving
- Willingly cooperates with co-workers
- Follows rules, regulations, and policies
- Punctual and reliable
- Positively contributes to implementing changes
This position has no supervisory responsibilities of museum staff.
Education and Experience
High school diploma or equivalent, plus one to two years’ experience in customer service preferred.
Able to clearly and effectively communicate verbally and in writing; Ability to speak, read, and write a language other than English a plus
While performing the duties of this job, employee is regularly required to stand, walk, and sit; extended periods of walking and moderate physical activity required. Use hands to feel and manipulate tools and materials, and reach with hands and arms. Employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. FCMoD adheres to requirements set forth by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
Certificates, Licenses and Registrations
Driver’s license or ID card issued by a State or territory of the United States is required.
Thank you for your interest in joining the FCMoD team. Applications will be reviewed, and selected candidates will be interviewed. Additional analysis may be conducted. Hiring is conditional upon a successful background check; additionally, a drug screening may be required.
Questions? Please contact Visitor Services Team Manager David Garrison at firstname.lastname@example.org.